Big huge THANKS to the Robert Manzoni Memorial Fund

Before I jump into details about the amazing night we had at the third annual Robert Manzoni Fund dinner, I want to apologize because I didn't get to share an update on Ty's appointment yesterday like I promised.  It turned into such a hectic day, I wasn't able to get online until now.  Long story short, we ended up being in the hospital from 7:30AM until 4PM because his doctor ordered a CT scan along with multiple tests before we were able to get clearance for home.  I am happy to report that the results of the scan show no significant change in the tumor.  Sure, I would love to say it was smaller, but that isn't to be expected so quickly after radiation.  As long as it isn't getting any bigger, Ty will continue treatment and he will keep on fighting the fight.

The second we heard the words, "you can go home now," Lou and I zipped off to Long Island so we could attend the dinner.  What an incredible event it was, Lou and I are grateful beyond words. I woke up way too  early today (with a bit of a hangover :) and I couldn't go back to sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about how much fun we had, how many wonderful people we met, how great it was to see our friends and how much I truly miss everyone.  I couldn't hold back my tears several times throughout the night - not because I was sad but because I was so overwhelmed by everyone's kindness and support, because I was so happy to see so many people I love, and because I was so honored to be part of such a special event.  Lou and I will remember last night always.

Thank you so much to everyone who made this event such a success, and especially to the founders of the Robert Manzoni Memorial fund for choosing to honor Ty at the event.  We were so honored.  Although we never met, Robert Manzoni was clearly an incredible person.  He grew up in Long Beach and has touched the lives of so many that his memory will be ingrained in the community for always.  Long Beach lost Robert in December 2002, when he was only 27.

When Robert Manzoni was diagnosed with brain cancer, he amazed his friends with his ability to accept what was happening and take it in stride.  He used to tell his friends that what bothered him more than his own devastating diagnosis was seeing how many small children were suffering with cancer.  His fund was created to help those children in his honor.

I learned that his friends called him "Smooch" and when I look through his pictures on Facebook, I can see in his eyes what a warm person he was.  I can also tell from the activities taking place in those photos that he was clearly a fun person to be around!  The type of person that everyone would gravitate toward because he could make you smile.  Lou and I are so lucky to have been brought into this very special circle and to be introduced to Robert's story in such an incredible way.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

If only I had pictures!!  I will be sure to track some down and post them soon.

Comments

  1. How is Ty feeling today? I know he has been down, I hope his spirits are up!!! What a blessing that there has been no change in the tumor.... Lets look for smaller and smaller and smaller and then GONE!!! :O)

    Much love sweet baby boy!
    Mary E. King and the rest of the King family
    GA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Robert Manzoni Memorial Fund!

    Good news! The results of the latest CR scan confirm that the tumor is shrinking and yes indeed... disappearing! (CR scan = Colleen Rosen scan)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

So Gray Today

Anything but cancer

Our baby is finally free. Rest in peace Ty Louis Campbell.