POOR BABY! Ty's blood cultures and the culture of his CSF fluid have confirmed yet another staph infection in his system. I am just so upset. To stave off another bout of meningitis, he is now being treated with three different antibiotics that are upsetting his stomach and we have been discussing strategy around radiation and surgery to change out the shunt. I wish he didn't need the damn shunt anymore, but he's had so many infections in his central nervous system at this point that his brain has too much scarring to effectively absorb the fluid without one.
Since the shunt is now infected with staph, it needs to be replaced. However, Ty is in no condition for another surgery, nor can we afford to delay his radiation treatment. There have been some experimental findings that support intrathecal treatment with antibiotics (which means injecting the shunt directly with the drug on a daily basis) and in some preliminary studies there are cases where that approach worked in clearing the infection from both the CSF fluid AND the shunt without having to remove the hardware. It is a shot in the dark, but we decided to go for it. So, poor Ty has to have a needle injected into his head once a day until his radiation therapy is complete (three more weeks) and we will most likely need to stay in the hospital for the duration.
I just feel so beat up. I am missing Gavin so much already, and Ty asked me three times today if he can go home yet. He bounced back so well these past couple of days, I never expected this. Luckily, Ty isn't aware of the severity here and he says he feels "bedda". God bless him.