Insert the sound of a record player scratching backwards, or a screeching car coming to a halt. When I posted yesterday morning, we were waiting for Ty's second-to-last radiation treatment. I mentioned that aside from an episode of headpain the night before, he was doing great. Fast forward ten minutes... I walked into the treatment room with Ty and the pediatric anesthesiologist proceeded to ask me the usual... if he had any food or drink (of course not) and if he had developed any new symptoms such as coughing or vomiting. "No, in fact he's doing really great," I said, and at that very moment Ty chose to start throwing up.
Radiation had to be cancelled yesterday, so today is NOT our last day. If all goes as planned, we tacked on the extra day and will finish up tomorrow instead. To say we are disappointed, exhausted and depressed is an understatement. Not so much because of the extra day, but because of what has gone on in the last 24 hours since the cancellation.
Even though he got sick, Ty was still in good spirits so we decided to take advantage of our time and go to his scheduled appointment for occupational therapy. When I tried to give him his oral meds while in the waiting room, Ty threw up again. It's always a challenge when that happens because it's a tough call whether or not I should repeat the doses. Ty was a real trooper and he still participated in OT willingly. He played a few games, cut and pasted shapes... his motor skills are improving dramatically, but even his therapist agreed that he wasn't himself and we cut it short after 1/2 hour.
On our way home, the vomiting got worse and head pain set in. The rest of the day was nothing short of torture. Imagine hearing your child fall from a tree and scream out in pain with a broken arm. Now, imagine hearing that scream over and over and over again throughout the day. Imagine your child asking you "what can you do to make my head pain go away?" when the answer is nothing. I tried to administer pain meds and anti-nausea meds, but he couldn't keep down a single drop. He started vomiting 3 - 5 times an hour! Lou and I watched closely and felt very strongly that his infection was rearing it's ugly head again. I called the hospital, explained the symptoms, and they didn't necessarily agree - no surprise there. They felt we would be okay staying home and we should see the team after our radiation appointment tomorrow (which is now today).
"F" that! After hours on end watching him suffer, we jumped in the car and went off to urgent care. As you know from my previous complaints, there's nothing urgent about urgent care. We were there from 8PM until 1AM when they finally determined that yes, maybe this is an infection, maybe he should be admitted to the floor. So frustrating! We are beyond tired.
Thanks to IV pain and anti-nausea meds, Ty's RT went off without a hitch this morning. His neurosurgery team was in this morning to discuss next steps, and we are waiting on the results from several cultures to see what is going on with my poor baby. He did have a CT scan last night, and there are a few questionable results, so we may be following up with an MRI this afternoon. Let the "scanticipation" begin! I will be sure to keep you all posted. Thank you for all of your love. XOXO from Ty.
In the meantime, Gavin is having fun with Aunt Debi and it looks like he found Ty's collection of blue lollipops. I'm glad he is none the wiser and still having a ball when we are stuck in the hospital. He is such a character :) Always happy and goofing around. I love him so much.