Long day at the hospital today

The hospital was SO busy today.  We arrived this morning at 10AM for a one-hour infusion of Avastin, but we didn't leave until 4:30!  It was torture.  They were so busy that Ty wasn't assigned a bed, either.  Which means I had to find ways to keep him entertained for hours on end without being able to lie him down for a nap or a TV show.  He started asking to go home within the first hour.  It was probably payback for all of the times my brother, sister and I tortured our parent's during roadtrips :)

I have to admit, though, it is kinda nice to complain about the normal musings of a three-year old.  His behavior today - although it was driving me nuts - was so normal and appropriate for a little boy who's feeling good and healthy and who just doesn't want to wait around anymore. 

His bloodwork was 100% normal for the first time since - I don't know - probably October 7, his very first day of chemo.  I am not exaggerating.  His red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets were all in the normal, healthy range. His electrolytes, including his potassium, magnesium and calcium, were all perfect. YAY! That's because he has been eating so well.  No more supplements!  He looks so amazing that jaws were dropping on familiar faces.  My favorite thing is to see a nurse pass by who hasn't seen Ty in a long time because they do a triple-take before smiling big or shrieking with excitement. "He looks great!" I hear this over and over again and my heart just sings. 

One woman even asked me, "Where's Ty?"  This is a woman who works on the inpatient side and you know we have spent waaaay too much time there.  In all seriousness, she didn't even recognize him because he is off the steroids and looking so healthy. 

Finally, after a steady streak of losing weight or remaining the same, Ty gained two pounds in the last week and a half!  Go Ty! 

I saw a little girl we know and her mom this morning.  She still has four more weeks of radiation (she is doing the six week course that Ty went through a couple of months ago).  She was looking good and I can't stop thinking about her today.  Her name is Meredith, please pray for her, too.  One morning when we were all waiting our turns for radiation (the kids go first because of anesthesia), I overheard the following dialog between them.

Meredith asked her mom, "Did you wish for me?"
and of course her mom answered, "Oh, yes. Of course I did!" 
"What did you wish for?"
"I wished for the cutest little girl to be all mine, so I could hug her and squeeze her just like this!"
The little girl giggled when her mom squeezed her and rocked her on her lap, then she said with a smile, "I bet you didn't want a sick one, though......"
"I wanted you," said her mom.  "No matter what, YOU are everything I ever wished for."

Her answer was perfect.  My sentiments, exactly.  Goodnight everyone.  XOXO.

Comments

  1. God I hate cancer!!

    My just turned six year old son Owen and I were in the ER today because he had a splinter in his foot that became severely infected and had to get cut open. He said I want to be so brave like Ty but he said that Ty is much cuter n braver than him. He told me to tell Ty how much he loves him. He also said he thought his doctor was very cute until she cut him and now he never ever ever wants to see her again unless she can not be in the hospital. Kids are funny!

    Anyway, always thinking of you all! Thank you for the positive impact you have had on our lives!! Love n prayers!! <3 <3 <3 Brooke, Eric, Emily n Owen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so blessed by this post. To hear you say Ty is gaining weight nd people don't recognize him is fantastic. It is also nice to hear that he is "acting like a normal 3 yr old". I pray for more posts just like this one.

    Your writing makes me feel as if I'm there with you. I can't thank you enough for including us on your journey as you battle this awful disease. You allow us to love your beautiful son and the rest of your family. You have given us new perspective on life. It makes us appreciate what we have even more then we did. My twin autistic boys are a handful and there are times I felt like pulling my hair out, then I think of you and the daily struggles you go thru and it makes me stop, breathe deep and start over. I can honestly say I think I have become a better mom because of you and Ty. Thank you for that blessing.

    All my love,
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me so happy to read that Ty is doing so well and is so strong.

    You are truly an inspiration in so many ways. You make me strive to be a better parent to my 7 year old son.

    As always, sending prayers your way.

    Jessica
    ~IL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Campbells,
    Hi, my name is Teryn and I have read your blog every single day since day one. I have never posted, but trust me when I say I check the blog every day. Sometimes multiple times a day.
    First of all, I lost my mom 4 years ago, when I was 17, to cancer. Hardest thing to watch your loved one go through. I know the hate that you have for cancer, because I have it too. And the more I hear about cancer hurting families, the more I just DESPISE it. No words can explain.
    I wanted you all to know that your family has changed my life, for the better. I had days where I was just depressed and sad and Ty's strength and fight just really lifts me up. I tend to cherish the little things more now. I appreciate what I have. And this blog has really given me something to look forward to. I so enjoy checking in on Ty and now hearing all of this progress just makes me feel like I can believe and trust in God again. After I lost my mom, I had a hard time believing... how could that happen? But seeing Ty overcome everything he has leaves no doubt in my mind that God hears our prayers.
    After a year of reading about Ty, I feel like I know him. I feel like I know all of you. Like you're family to me. And I care about you all so much. If I could take the pain from him, I'd do it in a second.
    I have followed his progress pretty close all this time, but lately I have been pretty confused. I see that he is progressing so well and that his bloodwork is coming back normal and that his cancer is microscopic... but I don't understand if that means his cancer is almost gone? If he still has a serious threat? I'm sorry if these are questions I shouldn't ask and I'll understand completely if it's not something you want to answer. But I just talk about Ty a lot and also have quite a few people ask me for updates on him, and I like to be able to give accurate information. I mean, I understand that he obviously still has a road of recovery ahead but I guess I am just unclear.
    Thank you for sharing your story. You are so blessed to have such a fighter and we all have our fists up fighting with you guys. God Bless!
    Teryn, CA

    P.S. Ty wouldn't have come as far as he has without you two as parents, never forget that. You are both truly amazing people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy & Lou,

    He is amazing!!! I am so happy to hear that his bloodwork is normal, and that he is gaining weight too!

    I agree with all the other posters here when they say your story has truly made us better people, better parents. I try not to stress the small stuff anymore...

    I will say a prayer for Merideth and her family. Her story brought tears to my eyes. I hate cancer, absolutely hate it!

    Joy Marielle
    Baltimore, MD

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I read your post I keep stopping and thanking God because every sentence gets better and better. I truly beleive God is hearing our prayers. lil Ty is just such a miracle from God and I will never stop praying for only good things, better things for lil Ty and your family. The other post are soooo right as I read their comments I totally agree with everthing being said. Your family is amazing!!! Thank you for sharing your precious lil Ty with us all. Lots of prayers, hugs and kisses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such AMAZING news! What a sigh of relief that he is gaining weight, pp aren't recognizing him and his #'s are all NORMAL~ Woohoo!!! I keep praying for Ty like everyone else and just know there is always hope.
    "The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are."
    --J. Pierpoint Morgan
    Much Love to you all, Allison xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I hate to hear about sick children - it makes me so mad. I'm a friend of Mary Z's which is how I heard about Ty. The pictures and video you posted of your beautiful son are incredible. I will pray for him to beat cancer - no three year old should be fighting this fight but I pray that he kicks it's @ss. I wish you and your entire family all the best and the strength you need to get through this. I really cannot imagine what you guys deal with but know that there are people out there that care and will pray for you all. I wish there was something more I could do - like kick the cancer's @ss myself - but since I can't, just know someone else out there is pulling for you. Go Ty Go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ty looks so good because thousands of angels are sent from all of us to kiss him well. I have prayed that God will loan my Guardian Angel to Ty for as long as he needs him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy to read this today.. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes of joy.. Hopefully you are turning the corner and this nightmare is behind you..
    Thinking of you and sending prayers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

So Gray Today

Anything but cancer

Our baby is finally free. Rest in peace Ty Louis Campbell.