World Cancer Day

Cancer is the second leading cause of death around the world, just behind heart disease.  One in four people die of cancer.  Sadly, I doubt there is a person reading this post that has avoided being touched by cancer in one way, shape, or form.   So, I’m not sure we need a dedicated day to remind people about the tragedy that is “cancer” but I do believe that having this day is actually more empowering than it is depressing.  We are not alone.  This is a worldwide problem that isn’t going away.  We stand united, and as tragic as it may be to watch our newsfeeds fill with Placards and ribbons, it is also inspiring.  Awesome, actually.  Each and every one of the fighters – big and small – show strength and courage, and the network of support from the world around them is as humbling as it is beautiful. 


Ty is not the first person I love to die from cancer, and he won’t be the last.  That is such an impossible and hopeless statement to write.  It is not like me to sound so negative and over-simplified.  As if cancer is going to happen, even to kids, and there’s nothing we can do about it.  
 
Despite the statistics, of course, there is plenty we can do about it.  Just taking a picture holding a placard is doing something about it.  It is a small, tiny, baby step, but it’s doing something.  Awareness inspires more people to donate to the cause, and those donations help families and fund life-saving research that will change these horrific statistics.  I so totally and completely believe in Some Day, and I hope you do to.

Which leads me back to today.  World cancer day.  Or tomorrow, or the next day, or any day whatsoever.  What are you going to do?  I have a suggestion, at least for the duration of February. 

RAINBOW LOOM FOR SUPERMAX!
 
It's impossible to look at Max without seeing Ty.  I am head over heels in love with Max and his entire family (who wouldn't be), so I want to do everything I can to help make his birthday wish come true.  He wants to make the largest rainbow loom chain in the whole wide world.  How adorable.  It reminds me of Ty's wish to jump in muddy puddles.  It's so innocent, so simple and so beautiful.  If I was in treatment and someone asked me my wish, I can only imagine it would be something outlandish and exotic like world travel or flying an airplane.  These kids - all they want is a chance to be kids!  To play with their rainbow loom, to jump in puddles, to dance in the rain. 
 
It's a snow day in New York again, so I know what Gavin and I will be doing!  Rainbow Looming to help make Max's birthday wish come true. 
 
THIS LINK will take you to the downloadable version of the flier below that explains the project, and can be used to print and present the idea to your kids' schools, girl scout troops, sports teams and other clubs.  What a great way to empower kids and help them do something for the cause!  Max's Facebook Page has even more information and Max loves to see how many likes he has gotten in just a few short page so please visit https://www.facebook.com/LoomAgainstCancer


 
 

Comments

  1. We are looming 4 Max too!! Donna T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stand up for Ty. i of course stand up for all the other babies too. and for Max. Ty taught me to that :))
    Not a day goes by that if even for a second but I think about you.
    Miss you baby boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughters "bracelet" is over 14 feet long...going to get her to do some more before sending it off to Max

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

So Gray Today

Anything but cancer

Our baby is finally free. Rest in peace Ty Louis Campbell.